The Friends of the Grand Trunk Cemetery announce the public unveiling of the new interpretive sign, a gift from the City of Portland, with contributions from several donors to the project.A Remembrance Ceremony will precede the Unveiling on Friday afternoon, at 4 PM, June 21st, 2019, to be held at the Grand Trunk Cemetery, located behind the Presumpscot School, 69 Presumpscot Street.
The sign will give visitors to the cemetery a glimpse into the history of the early settlement of the area of Portland, once referred to as Back Cove, now East Deering, from the period of the resettlement of Falmouth (now Portland), when Isaac Sawyer, Sr came from Gloucester, in 1725, up the coast with his family to settle on a farm where he lived until his death in 1772.
The new sign preserves the names that we know from existing records, of families who settled in the area, many who came from other parts of Massachusetts Bay Colony and later arrivals from England, Scotland and Ireland, like Timothy Galvin, an Irish School Master who lived on what is now Veranda Street.
Through the advocacy of the City of Portland Cemetery Division, members of the East Deering community, Portland Girl Scouts and Friends of the Grand Trunk Cemetery, the Cemetery is a well taken care of, peaceful place to visit with newly replaced government markers for eight Veterans of the Revolution and War of 1812 ,as well as gardens and benches.
Readers may read more about the Grand Trunk Cemetery and those interred there through the blog dedicated to the project at: firstname.lastname@example.org or on our Facebook page: @friendsofgrandtrunkcemetery.