Sharpening is available anytime the arena is open, and generally takes 15 minutes or less. In addition to sharpening services offered, we also sell basic supplies such as hockey tape, mouth guards, and skate laces. Our staff has trained with recognized sharpening guru, Mike Cunningham, and is prepared to offer sharpening services to advanced level figure skaters. Please contact Mike Blanck for appointment.
Skate Sharpening Costs
Figure Skate Sharpening - $7.00 or $70.00 for a punch card and 2 for free!
Customized Figure Skate Sharpening - $15.00
Flat Bottom V Sharpening - $10.00
Hockey Skate Sharpening - $6.00 or $60.00 for a punch card and 2 for free!
Custom Radius - $20.00
To purchase a punch card, please stop by our office.
We sell skate laces, mouth guards & hockey tape
Skate Guidelines & Helpful Information
- All new ice skates should be sharpened before use.
- Skates should be sharpened on a regular basis – every 4-6 hours of skating
- To prevent rust on the blades always dry skate blades before putting away.
- It is always a good idea to wear skate guards when off the ice
- The skate sharpening industry standard for hockey skates is to sharpen skates with a 1/2 inch hollow. As a hockey player’s skating skills increase some choose to change that hollow to 3/8 inch. Though the skate blade is completely sharpened at either depth, some skaters feel that the 3/8 inch sharpening gives them more bite or grab in the ice.
- Custom Radius – Does your balance seem off? Perhaps your skates need a custom radius. By changing the radius of a skate blade forward or backward you can move the balance point of the steel where it touches the ice. This allows for greater maneuverability, better balance and tighter turns.
For questions about skate radius call 207-774-8553 or stop by the ice arena and speak to Mike Blanck.
- From recreational skaters to advanced jumpers & spinners, Troubh Ice Arena provides all sharpening services. Our sharpeners are all highly qualified and trained by Mike Cunningham – 2014 Olympic Skate Sharpener.
To set up an appointment for customized figure skate sharpening ask for Mike Blanck