Minimum Qualifications for original appointment to the fire department are outlined by the City of Portland Civil Service ordinance. Candidates are required to pass a written exam, backgound check and medical exam. 1. Good Character.
- Applicants must not have a disqualifying criminal conviction - Applicants must be of good moral character 2. Education and Experience.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalency degree and either - Three years post high school employment; or - Three years of education in a post high school program at a school or college or university; or - Any combination of post high school education and work experience totaling three years. - Any applicants wishing to be considered for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic must be certified as a paramedic and licensable in the State of Maine prior to appointment.
3. Motor Vehicle Drivers License.
- Applicants must posses a valid State of Maine license and must not be disqualified from issuance of a State of Maine drivers license. 4. Health
-Applicants shall be in good health and shall be subject to a fitness assessment and a post offer medical examination.
- Applicants shall either be a citizen of the United States or provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
6. Emergency Medical Technician
- Applicants must be licensed state of Maine licensed EMT-B at the time of interview. Intermediate or Paramedic license is desirable. 7. Firefighter I & II
- Candidates with State Firefighter I & II certification are desired. 8. Candidates Physical Ability Testing
- Candidates will be required to pass the IAFF/IAFC Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)